View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
br549
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Unhappy Help! Biting and growling with objects in mouth

We've had Koda, an 18 week Morkie for about 2 weeks now. On one hand he has been wonderful - he is very good with everyone in our family. He is great with strangers. He rolls over on his back for us, lets us rub his belly, etc. Potty training is even going pretty well.

The problem is inconsistency when he has something in his mouth. Tonight for example, he had 3 different occasions of having something we didn't want him to chew (a leaf, piece of trash, or whatever). Each time I was able to stick my finger in his mouth and fairly easily take the object away. However, the 4th time he found a used lollipop stick. When I tried to take it out of his mouth he growled at me fairly fiercely and tried to bite me. This has happened several times. It is scary. We have 3 children, and I'm worried that he's going to snap on them at some point and really do some damage.

Is this normal? It sure doesn't seem so. What can we do to stop it? I've tried teaching him "leave it", but we're pretty early in the process. How do you know when he's just being a terrier and when there really is something wrong that is putting our family in danger?

thanks!
br549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!