View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
guliverandmaya
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Yes, it is possible for a 4 lb female to delivery puppies safely but it is not wise for a number of reasons. First of all, besides the weight of the female, you have to consider her build. Some females are to narrow in the pelvic area and that makes it hard to them to dilate enough to pass a puppy. Secondly, a female that is pregnant with one or two pups is at more risk of needing a c-section because those pups can grow larger in the womb.

Here are some of the risks of breeding a small female:
1. Because of her small size she may be more susceptible to pre-elampsia because the unborn pups will be draining her little body of calcium.

2. A small female that is carrying a large litter is at risk of having her uterus rupture before the pups are ready or she could go into premature labor

3. A small female is likely to have a longer, harder labor and that will put the pups at risk and possible cause the pups to die before being born.

4. A small female is more likely to require a c-section. A c-section is risky for the momma and her unborn pups.

5. A small female that is trying to push out a large puppy is more likely to rupture her uterus or to have a prolapsed uterus.

6. A small female is more likely to get eclampsia if not given the proper diet and calcium supplement after the pups are born.

I am sure there are other reason but my feelings are that it is risky enough breeding the females that are over 5 lbs so if someone is willing to risk their girls life and the life of her puppies then it make me wonder what their motive could be. I personally cannot think of any reason that would justify it.

Now based on my 14 years of raising yorkeis, I have only had one c-section and that was a 5 lb female bred to a 4 lb male. She had one huge pup in her that she could not pass. Lucky for me, the momma and baby were just fine but I know many other people that have not so lucky and they lost their momma and/or babies. Most of my females are in the 6 to 8 lbs bracket.
My question is: Can you bring your dog to gain weight (from 4 to 5 pounds) in order to breed her? will it make her stronger to give birth? Is there a type of Yorkie exercise that can make them stronger?
guliverandmaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!