View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
dandydaniel
Yorkie Talker

Thanks for the reply Lola (great name by the way hah!). Lola has been doing a lot better and she should be coming home with us tonight (crossing fingers). But on a slightly scary side note, the vet looked over Lola's blood work from when she was in bad shape (yesterday morning) and noted that her blood sugar level was very low (40s, when average should be between 60 - 140ish). I don't know if that was because she hadn't eaten in almost 16-20 hours or if its a sign of a possible liver shunt? The vet said that it could be a liver shunt and that we should run a bile acid test on her sometime in the next few weeks (he said that when a puppy is going through an intense battle with parasites or bacteria that the liver should be pumping at least a little bit of glucose into her system to keep her up?? I might be a bit confused about what he said but that was the gist of it..) If anyone else whose dealt with liver shunts could possibly explain in layman's terms what I should be looking out for that would be great (Lola has never showed signs of seizuring or hobbling or anything like that [that was what I figured out from a simple google search as symptoms for possible liver shunt/hypoglycemia] so i'm hoping that it was just because of her serious bout with diarrhea and what not).
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!