View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I've never used diapers and wouldn't recommend them unless totally absolutely necessary. Using diapers is just covering the issue, it's not getting down to the root of the problem. Training will really help the issue. Potty training 101 all over again. Since you got a new dog, you should have to do this all over again anyways so might as well execute a new plan with all 3 pups.

Use an expen or a crate. Most dogs won't go potty in their crate, and if they do... I guess that's a bigger issue. But while you're home, do not take your eyes off them. Set them up for success! When you can't watch them, in the crate or pen they go. I know you say you take them out every hour and they still go inside... a dog should not have to pee every hour, unless there's a medical condition or another underlying issue, or their marking. Do you know when they drink water or eat? Or do you free feed? By putting them on a schedule, you can better learn when they have to use the potty. Control their intake of food and water by monitoring them.

Learn their signs, sniffing, etc, and take them immediately outside when they look like they may go. When you catch them in the act, tell them 'No' and take them outdoors. But only when you catch them IN the act do you tell them no.

A few weeks of being really persistent will pay off. If you need to use the diapers to help AID in training, that would be better, but I don't really believe it's a great solution. Living with 3 dogs that will just go wherever and whenever they please is unacceptable in my house and a training plan would definitely be put into place.

Last edited by Britster; 08-12-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!