View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
Rachael x
Poppy's Mamma ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmith229 View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to get a thread started on this topic because I was asked this question the other day...."Can you breed a 4 pound Yorkie with a mate that is 4 pounds or less?"

I told this gentleman I wasn't sure, but if she's healthy and the stud is smaller than her...I don't see why not if you get a clearance from your vet first. Isn't that how a dog gets to be that size in the first place? Amazingly humans have genetically altered a Wolf by breeding many variations of size, color and physical appearances right down to a Yorkie.

After this man asked me this question...I thought of myself in a way. I just had a baby and I am 5ft 1 and petite and my husband is 6ft 3 and 235 pounds which is double my size. Our son was 8.7 ounces and had no delivery complications at all. Obviously I am a human and not a dog, but kind of the same principles here.

However, canines do have multiple births which can bring on more complications. Now a small Yorkie would have a small pelvis which is common in all terrier breeds to begin with, but you can run a chance of a physical blockage caused by just one oversized pup. In this case you would have to have a c-section and can run a breeder a lot of money and be stressful. Which I couldn't imagine how a person who breeds bulldogs must go through this everytime they have a litter because it can be dangerous for them to free whelp. Crazy!

Please respond with only facts and personable experiences which will make this discussion insightful and educational. Opinions are wonderful when there is some merit behind it.
I have no experience with breeding but I have learned from this forum that a yorkie should be at least 5 pound before you breed them.
All I can say is that my boyfriends father breeds bulldogs and they nearly ALWAYS need c-sections.
Sorry I couldn't be of any furthur help, just wanted to pop that in there.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!