View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie07 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about Rocky. I hope he recovers quickly and becomes your happy little baby again.

I'm afraid the best you might be able to do at this point is learn from what has happened. It is so important to research the breeder to find someone who cares about breeding healthy dogs and not just trying to make money. Pet stores, IMO are the worse place to buy a dog. The animals are just inventory to them.
I agree.

Also, all Yorkies should have a bile acids test once they reach 16 weeks old according to Dr.Center. If you had done that, most likely the health guarantee from the pet store would have covered his condition since liver shunts are congenital.

According to a study done at the University of Tennessee, Yorkies are 36 times more likely to be born with a liver shunt than all other breeds combined. Anyone looking to purchase a Yorkie needs to be very, very careful when selecting their breeder and make sure that the puppy has a bile acids test before he comes homes or right at 16 weeks (with a clause in the contract addressing the breeder's financial responsible should the results be abnormal.)

Hopefully by sharing Rocky's story, more people will get that BAT done right away.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!