View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
dandydaniel
Yorkie Talker

Default Giardia and Coccidiosis...

So this is my first post on YT. And unfortunately, it happens to be in the worst section of the thread...

To make a short story short...

We brought home Lola last Sunday (August 11th). She is a Biewer Yorkshire Terrier and was born on April 20th, 2010 making her almost 4 months old. She came home to us fine and weighed in at a very small 1.5 pounds. The breeder (who I will keep anonymous for now) said that she was most likely going to top out at 3.5 - 4 pounds max. She came home fine and was the brightest and most playful puppy ever. Then all of a sudden, starting this past Monday (August 9th) her stools got VERY runny pretty much to the point of diarrhea (she went to the bathroom about 6 times that day). Fearing something was wrong or that we were just over feeding her (she was eating Wellness Wet Puppy Food (1tbsp in the morning) and Orijen Puppy Kibble (about a little less than a half cup a day)). After the initial onset of the loose stools we decreased the amount and her poop went back to normal on Tuesday (August 10th). And then, at midnight today (August 11th) she began to have very loose stools and had even a trace of bright red blood at the end. Thinking that this was just another case of her maybe just not feeling 100% from overfeeding the day before I didn't think much of it.. So we hopped in bed to go to sleep and guess what, about 40 minutes later she hopped off the bed and went diarrhea again with the same consistency and again with a trace of blood at the end of the stool. Fast forward to 11:05AM this morning and she had made a total of 9 trips to the bathroom with each stool getting less and less brown with more and more mucus and eventually a 50/50 split of purely mucus and blood. We rushed her to the vet immediately and she was diagnosed with both giardia and both coccidiosis. The vet personally said in his 30 years of practicing that he has not once seen a giardia test come up positive THAT quickly.. So we swallowed the $800 estimate for the day care (she is on IVs, in a thermo regulated den, and a possibility of a night at the E.R. if she isn't back on track by 6pm today). Her temperature read at 97.2 degrees and the vet estimated that she was nearing 5% dehydration (along with severe cramps because of the fact that she was just straining and had emptied her entire colon throughout the night).

To sum it all up... I was wondering if I could get an opinion from maybe some of you breeders out there or anyone else who has had similar or same experiences to maybe help us through these times and help us understand what is going on in an even more basic level than what our vet described. I'm really curious and a bit furious as to why the breeder had sold us such a sick puppy if what the vet said is true (the vet said that the incubation period for both giardia and especially coccidiosis is a bit longer than the total of 11 days that Lola has been living with us in the house).

I feel as if the breeder should play a role in terms of the financial aspects of the treatment. We paid $2500 for Lola and now with this, the total will most likely easily run up to $3500 - $4000 for the puppy. Our family loves her to death and has already become so attached to this little ball of energy and sass..

To cliff note everything up..

-Lola has been with us for 11 days
-Lola is 1.9 pounds as of today (August 11th)
-Lola has been eating Wellness Puppy Food (Wet) and Orijen Dry Puppy Kibble
-Lola came down with giardia and coccidiosis symptoms roughly on the 8th day of being with us
-Lola is in critical condition as of now according to the vet

What I want to find out is this..

1) Is it right for me to call the breeder and let her know about all of this and maybe put the blame on her for this mess?
2) Is coccidiosis a fairly common theme amongst puppies?
3) We really shouldn't be worried about a dead puppy right especially since we got her in to the vet not less than 12 hours after the initial symptoms?

And I apologize in advance if a lot of the context in this body of message is just confusing or just has no trail because I literally just got back from the vet and a flood of emotions are just running through me right now...

Any help/suggestions/anything will be better than nothing. Thanks in advance everyone.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!