View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

FYI, I was told by our veterinary nutritionist that a dog would have to eat boatloads of veggies to get all the vitamins/minerals they need, which is why supplementing with a multivitamin is important. Yes, they do get some vitamins/minerals from the veggies, but in reality the veggies are just a good source of fiber. When we homecooked, Bella didn't like the veggies, so her nutritionist said we could skip them (he did add some fiber to her meals at that point). That's when I learned that in all honesty the veggies only provide minimal nutritional value. We do give her veggies separately as treats, and she likes that. Strange little critters aren't they?! I know some dogs will eat all the components but they have to be separated...if they're not, they refuse to eat it!! lol

(So her diet was chicken, a mix of sweet and white potatoes, egg whites, and then supplements...multivitamin, bone meal, konsyl powder (fiber), fish oil, vegetable oil, vitamin K, vitamin E, and iodized salt (just a few grains for the iodine). Bella has a liver thing, so I'm not suggesting you copy that...I just wanted to give you an idea of what her completely balanced diet consisted of. See, no veggies OR grains!! )
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!