View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Vinniedoggy
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiebebe View Post
If I get a another puppy, could the puppy change Chewie's personality? Like bark more for example? I am so happy with Chewie but scared that getting a new dog might change him in a bad way. But he's always been nice to other dogs.

Is it ok to leave 2 dogs alone in the house?

And for my last question. I read somewhere that when you have two dogs they usually dont need any human contact because they have their dog companion already. Chewie has never been clingy with me but he's really sweet in the morning when we wake up or when I get home. Will all of this change if I get a 2nd dog??

Thanks! have great day to all of you!
Vinnie, my oldest Yorkie, has been with another dog for the past 5 years. When I first got him, he was an only dog. Upon moving in with my partner and acquiring a second dog (Guru, who was not a yorkie), Vinnie's personality only changed for the better. He became less clingy, less aggressive, and generally more cooperative. Vinnie did adapt some of Guru's behaviors, but thankfully Guru ONLY had positive behaviors, and Vinnie definitely acquired some of those in the years he spent with Guru.

Sadly, we had to put Guru to sleep a couple of weeks ago, and I was already in the process of adopting another dog (a yorkie named Alex) so that Vinnie would not be alone. Vinnie has been the model "big brother" throughout this process. I think when the second dog is younger, the older dog takes on more of a mentor role. This sounds crazy, I know, but Vinnie is so consistently different (i.e., more patient) around puppies and younger dogs.

Yes, once the dogs get to know one another and you are certain that there are no aggression issues, you can leave them alone in the house together. Vinnie and Alex were fine together from the moment they met, so I never separated them when I left. I watch them on a network camera whenever I have to go into the office, so I can see them and know that they are fine. I would recommend separating them at first, and then allowing them to be together alone for short periods of time so that you know they are ok together alone.

As for your last question - the only thing that's changed for me is that I now have two dogs cuddling and kissing us in the morning instead of just one!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!