View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

BTW - if your dog is gaining from eating home cooked, you're feeding too much. We've always had lean dogs....dog food puts the weight on ours, just like Chinese food puts it on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
My Yorkie mix Teddy Bear seems to have a sensitive stomach. He can't eat any fatty meat or he will throw it up and/or get a tummy ache. I have often wondered if he is a candidate for pancreatitis so I try to avoid fatty foods. Our old vet told us to give him kayopectate and it did help him. Since I have been watching his diet closely and avoided fatty meat he has not had any more episodes in a long time.

I have a new vet who said she prefers home cooking to dog food. She recommended an equal mixture of salmon/mixed veggies/brown rice. Someone told me that salmon is a fatty fish so I should avoid it. I sub cod for the salmon about half the time.

Can anyone tell me what foods I should absolutely avoid feeding Teddy Bear and maybe give me some possible alternatives to the fish/mix veg/brown rice. I did sub some frozen peas and frozen green beans for the mix veg and gave some brown pasta for the rice. I hope that is ok. I mix the home cooked food with Cal Natural Lamb and Rice dog food because I still want them to eat the kibble in case they are missing nutrients from the home cooked diet. Daisy was itching a lot when I fed them boiled chicken so I am trying to avoid that too.

I tried feeding them raw NV medallians one time and I didn't really like feeding them raw and the new vet does not recommend raw diet.

They love the home cooked food but I think they may be gaining weight on it. Any suggestions?

Thanks. I really want to do what's best for them.

One more question....are the ceramic bowls made in China safe? Is it safe to heat their food in the microwave in these bowls? I remember hearing years ago that some human dishes that are made in China are not safe because of the paint leaching into the food. I hope someone can help me with some suggestions.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!