View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #3
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

I didn't post too much when I mentioned them to your earlier, so here is my full review of the system and some things you should consider before either buying one or making one:

At your local hardward store you should be able to buy rubber mats that have a grid pattern. They have a really small grid so it wont hurt your dogs paws. They interlock, and I just put two in a shoe tray that you would buy to put your shoes in by the door.

If you decided to make your own/buy one of those products here are some things to consider I've been learning what works and what doesn't as I go:

-Try and get a shoe tray that the mats fit in perfectly. Harley chews on his mats and can get them off, so at the moment I can't put papers under it (he chews those too), but I'm in the process of designing a new one and will incorporate some sort of clamp so the little chew monster can't get it out. (I called WizDog, the said there is no mechanism to lock the grid down. if you don't have a very creative pup, this is fine, otherwise you'll have to find a way to lock it down), the UGO Dog is the same, but a bit better quality than the WizDog (I called them too, but couldn't ship to canada at a good price)

-Consider the color of the shoe tray and where it's location will be. We had a black one originally, and at night our friends would trip on it alot. we prefer a lighter color now, so that it can be seen.

-Also consider how you are going to clean it. If you can keep papers on it, it doesn't have to be cleaned often. change the papers daily and you can get away with a good cleaning every 1-2 weeks (unless it's really hot out), otherwise just spot cleaning works. Right now I'm in an apartment building and have to clean it in my tub. It's annoying but I'm moving somewhere that has an outdoor hose soon. This is probably the worse part of the system, but personally the Pros out weigh this one Con.

Here are the steps to get your pup used to it:
Make a small area with crate, and tray. It's a little better than locking your pup in the crate. As your pup progresses you can make the space bigger.
To get them to go the first time on the crate, I put puppy pads underneath so the had the smell, you could also get that spray from the pet shop, or if they make a mistake on the floor, dab a bit on the grid before cleaning it all up.

That's my full review of the system. Harley does great with it in terms of potty training, but I am having troubles getting him to stop chewing the mats. When I get a chance to run to the hardware store I'm going to build him a new one, that he cannot mess up, I will post some pictures as soon as I have it perfected.

I'm also intersted in knowing what other people think of the grid system. I also think there are some other products in the US like this, I just couldn't find them in Canada.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!