View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Pipers
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Hi Everyone - New in the neighborhood

Hi,

I found this forum about a month ago and really like it. I find many people supportive and helpful with each other. Anyway, I've had pets all my life and presently we have 4 cats, 2 shetland sheepdogs, birds, and of course Piper my baby Yorkie! My kids are older now and I've always wanted a Yorkie since I was a kid, so now that I'm in my 40's it was about time!! Why did I wait so long, who knows?? Many things: working full time, had kids, bigger dogs just seem to do better when you're away from home hours at a time than a Yorkie would- there are a million reasons. Well I told my husband I wanted a Yorkie, and I would housebreak it, etc., it would be my baby. I figured the summer would be best I'm a pre-school teacher and off during the summer, so the housebreaking, separation anxiety, all the yorkie quirks would be dealt with accordingly. Well I didn't convey this to my husband, so during a cold November day - I worked and was 1 month away from finishing going to school one night a week - I come home at 10:00 at night and my daughter is holding an animal wrapped in her arms and all I can see is dark brown hair. I thought her dad bought her a hamster. She opened up her arms and said "say hello to Piper" (I also had her name picked out). It was a complete surprise and strategically planned by my husband. I was excited and knew at the same time I had my work cut out for me. Luckily I work part time, so during the day she's crated along with one of the shelties.
It took almost 18 months to fully potty train her, she just turned 2 earlier this month, once in a while she makes a mistake, but don't we all. She is the BEST thing for me: therapy, unconditional love, hours of entertainment! I would love to get another one, but maxed out right now, and she gets along with all her furry sisters and brother.
Sorry so wordy, but I'm so happy with my little furball, and my husband just gushes over her which is a surprise to both of us cause he isn't so much into lap dogs, he is totally attached to her.
She is a very bright dog, and because they are terriers, it takes longer to housebreak them, they are feisty and stubborn.
Anyway thanks for listening and glad I found this sight .
Pipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!