View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Darlene, I had a similar challenge when I brought home my second boy, Teddy. He was 8 months old and perfectly outdoor trained, but I needed him to know how to use piddle pads.

Peeing on the pad wasn’t too much of problem for us. If Jesse isn’t following Bailey’s lead on this, limit Jesse’s freedom to either an xpen or a very small room with the pad. Supervise and try to guide him to the pad when you think it is time. Use keywords and phrases telling Jesse to potty on the pad.

When he does pee on the pad, praise him profusely and give him a little treat.

Pooping on the pad was the bigger challenge for Teddy. He couldn’t accept the idea of pooping inside and he would claw at the sliding glass door to get out. Usually I would give in and take him outside, but this was not a long term option in my circumstances.

One night when Teddy needed to poop, I lined the back hall with piddle pads and fenced Teddy in. I sat there reassuring him over and over that it was okay to do his business. It was painful watching him agonize. Finally he pooped and I threw a party. He saw how happy I was and from that day on, he pooped on the pad.

If you use washable pads, try spraying them with the attractant scent (available at pet stores). The scent seems very important to my boys.

I hope some of this helps.

Last edited by Maximo; 08-09-2010 at 08:59 AM.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!