View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Is this directed at me or the OP? I'm confused.

Perhaps I need to clarify that I free feed Lulu...she doesn't eat the 1/4 cup of kibble all at once. It's down all day every day for her to eat when she wants & I refill it when the bowl is empty. I only measure out what I put in the bowl to try to get a gauge on how much she is eating daily.

Mardelin, I'm going to assume that your response is directed to the OP due to the age of her puppy. It's great advice, as always. Lulu actually still nursed a little at 9 weeks of age, so I can't imagine having her away from her furmommy that young. I'm grateful that she was almost 14 weeks old when she came to us b/c we avoided a lot of worry & stress that I see many new owners going through here.
Yes, it was directed at the OP.

I usually let my mother's call the shot as to when their pups quit nursing entirely. It's a tight rope to walk, as mom's need to be monitored too during the nursing period.

I've begun not letting my pups go home until at the very minimum 16 weeks. That way they've gone home with their full compliment of shots, bile acid tested, piddle pad trained and eating very well on their own. I want the transition to go as smoothly as possible for the pup and the new family.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!