View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
bosslady
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default neutering

I certainly share your anxiety. I made an appointment yesterday to get my Westie, Duffy, neutered. He is doing a lot of sniffing around my little Yorkie all of a sudden. She's not in heat yet, but she just turned 5 months old and could come in before too long. Several persons told me around 6 months. Duffy is a good sized, big boned, sturdy little dog for his size and I don't worry about him as much as I do her. Also it is easier to neuter a male than to spay a female.
It would be a tragedy if he got her pregnant as he is 18 lbs and she is only 2 or three lbs. I haven't weighed her in a while but she is very tiny. In some ways I want to have her spayed because I think she will be too tiny to have puppies and and I have also heard from my vet it helps with the risk of mammary cancer, but I can't bear the thought of anything happening to her. She just looks so tiny and I have read the risks on this forum of the little tiny ones having surgery and being anesthesized.
It really is a very difficult decision to make.
My husband wasn't happy about having having Duffy neutered. (I think it is a male thing) but he realizes that we can't have them living in the same house when she comes in heat and risk the chance of a "accident" happening.
bosslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!