View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #11
YorkieProud
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetts_mama View Post
I can't say for sure in pups, but in humans there IS a genetic component for cleft lips and palates. There are currently about 50 known syndromes that have one of both of those defects noted as a characteristic.

In the general population, there is about a 1 in 1000 chance of a baby having one of the defects. In a family with the history of the defect (especially in a sibling) the rate rises 40 times!

That's why I was questioning the study. It's kind of like saying "I didn't make any left hand turns today and I didn't have an accident. So that means turning right prevents accidents". Without knowing if you have a history of having accidents when you do make a left hand turn, it's just pulling something out of the air. KWIM?

In the case of the study, without knowing if her breeding program had a history of clefts prior to the introduction of folic acid, it's (in my mind) not a logical conclusion to say that the reason her lines don't have clefts is because of the folic acid.
Thank you for your response. Your explanation was great! When I read the study, one of my first thoughts was that if this is genetic the dog should not be bred in the first place. Will breeders breed a dog that has had cleft palate or hairlip in its lines?
Thanks,
YorkieProud
YorkieProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!