View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
arielart
Yorkie Yakker

Omg A Barker Only When He is Around Me?

So, I bought this Yorkie pup who we call Max. The breeder lives nearby so I am spending lots of time with the puppy before he comes home with me permanently. For example, I take him home for an hour visit each day and also took him to his last vet appointment yesterday. He is nine weeks old.

Since I met him at five weeks old, he was very quiet and calm. Both of his parents do not bark when they want things, and both are well behaved. When they do bark, in greeting or alert, the noise is not annoying.

Last week Max found his voice in a big way. And his voice is very high pitched. But he really only barks around me. When I took him to the vet yesterday, he barked non-stop in his carrier in the car, and I got a headache (I am very sensitive to high pitched noise due to a neurological issue). He was quiet only when I put my hand in the carrier or when holding him out of the carrier later at the vet's (Max usually loves his carrier).

If I am not with him constantly he barks or whines. LOUDLY. If I ignore him he does not give up.

He does not act this way with anyone else. Just me. The breeder says he is VERY good when at her house in his carrier or X-pen, even when he is left alone.

I don't want to stop him from barking entirely, and he will be with me most of the time as soon as he moves in here. But some times he needs to be in his carrier for 10 to 30 minutes at a time, like when traveling in the car while still this small, or when I cannot supervise him. I mean, I DO have to use the facilities on occasion, and I cannot let him have run of the whole house for some time to follow me everywhere.

Is there anyway I can get him more comfortable with the fact that he cannot be actually glued to me each day when I am around?
arielart is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!