View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
yorkie_mama22
Currently Suspended!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolos mom View Post
I'm so glad for you. My dogs use to love my Conure. I have had him for 12 years now. This just happened. They want to eat him. Be careful. They show stress by nipping and pulling out feathers. FYI

My conure is still young, at two and a half years old. We traveled a couple hours away to get him from a good breeder. And have had him since he was a baby. I dout he is stressed out by the dogs, he's always shown an interest in our dogs. Even with our first yorkie, she never tried to attack him.

Like I said we keep his cage open and he is allowed to free roam when we are at home and supervising of course. He's never plucked, and if you know, conures tend to be "nippy" kind of birds. He is pretty darn bossy but overall a great great bird! He dances on command and LOVES to interact with our whole family. He even says "Zach".

I think if my yorkies wanted to eat him they would by now. Not long ago Kiwi figured out a way to take his food dish down and make an escape when we were not home. ( now all is tied so no escaping ) well to come to our surprised we came home to find Zach and Lola laying on the couch and Kiwi the bird hanging out on the couch pillow. I'm sure if they wanted to eat him they would of had more then enough time to hurt him then but he didn't have a single feather destroyed!

I thank you for your concerns and advice, I definitely know the dangers and never would put him in jepoardy. But he honestly loves the attention from the dogs, he really thinks he is a dog or a person! lol He's a very very happy and content bird. We spend lots and lots of time with him and lots of interacting to keep them socialized with each other.

NOW we also have a ball python snake which I never ever handle when ANY of my other pets are out. We gate the living room and crate the dogs and bird goes into his cage when we handle him. We try to be as safe as we can for ALL our animals and take all the precautions we can to keep everyone happy healthy and safe.

Last edited by yorkie_mama22; 08-06-2010 at 05:28 PM.
yorkie_mama22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!