View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

I started seeing a holistic vet a year ago and was iffy about it until today - when I decided to see my traditional vet. Maggie needed a dental but our holistic vet is about an hour away. Normally this isn't a problem because we only go twice a year. However, since it is technically a "surgical" procedure, I would have had to drive out there, drive back, wait a couple of hours, drive back out and drive back again. That's over 4 hours of just travel time. Our traditional vet seemed like a better option at the time.

After today, I know without a doubt that the driving the hour is absolutely worth it. Just to have the dental procedure, Maggie had to have a DHPP booster even though she wasn't due for it for another year. This vet wouldn't honor her last one as a 3-year. Not only that but it cost me $40! Price is not a problem when it comes to my babies but I felt so ripped off. My holistic vet charges $21. I also paid almost double for a heartworm check. The actual office staff and vet are fine I just feel like they are more concerned with money than anything else.

My holistic vet is knowledgeable about and even advocates raw feeding -- a big plus for us! She also believes in vaccinating as little as possible so we only vaccinate every 3 years and we alternate the rabies and DHPP to reduce a chance of a reaction. She prescribes herbal supplement and natural remedies more often than medicine and relies on muscle testing to help diagnose the entire health of the dog, not just whatever problem is present at the time. It's just wonderful. It's so nice to see a doctor that feels like an ally, not an enemy. I would definitely recommend you at least visit with a holistic vet to see if their medicinal practices line up with your personal health care beliefs.

I will add that she practices both holistic and traditional medicine and we get the best of both worlds! Sometimes you really do need medicine.

Last edited by PrincessDiana; 08-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
PrincessDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!