View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
Little mama
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default getting on my soap box for a minute :)

I had never volunteered before, but today I went because my son needs hours for school. At first I was very intimidated by all the barking LARGE dogs. Without talking to anyone I picked the first one on the list that hadnt been walked yet. Well ms.Lucy was a jumping, mouthy, puller of a dog. We finished the walk with her and I was very nervous about continuing. I was thinking jeez this is not what I signed up for. There was a guy cleaning the kennels and we started talking. I asked if he was familer with any of the dogs and explained the way they jump and bark kinda scares me. He pointed out a few and said they were really good walkers. I'm like r u sure??? He says yes I promise. so I go to the first one he pointed out, Sasha, she was a collie/goldenret.mix. she had bad teeth and no tail. She was really big. Well let's say that i was pleasantly surprised. She was a gentle giant. she didnt pull,jump and walked like an angel. The next one I walked was buster. He was not cute at all. Looked like a pit/shepherd mix of some sort and just had this really intimidating stance. Well, well never judge a book by its cover!!! Very sweet dog.

My aha moment of today:
I think that when people go to shelters looking for a dog, they always go for the cute ones or the babies. Those do not have any problem getting adopted. But the larger slightly older ones who bark and jump at their gate, I think people r scared and don't even want to give them a chance out of fear. But if they would they would end up getting a wonderful , loyal,loving companion. They might be picture perfect, but they are an animal that deserves much more than their current life. Please if you have ever considered getting a large breed dog give those ones that may seem scary a chance.
Little mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!