View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
Ringo1
Ringo (1) and Lucy too!
Donating Member

My Lucy has mild MVD with BAT numbers that were initially similar to yours; but came down after a repeat test in 30 days on a lower protein diet. BUT, she did not have spiking fevers, etc.
She started having some tummy and what appeared to be neurological issues after I gave her some beef ALPO that a well meaning neighbor gave me. That's when we did her first BAT - which was still fairly low (like yours). But did show that her liver was NOT functioning 100%. Her vet really didn't want to lower her protein too much because she was less than one year old.

Then I switched her to a medium protein food - Wellness Limited Ingredient and started mixing with liver friendly foods such as cooked carrots; low fat cottage cheese and low fat plain yogurt. I cut down on the protein treats (like pupparoni); I continued to give her chicken because she seemed to do well with chicken ~ although some dogs with MVD do not.

She did well; but then had a couple of issues with her back legs going on which scared me further so then I switched her breakfast food to Natural Balance Vegetarian; which she eats well mixed with some cooked carrots. She still gets the medium protein food at dinner though - mixed usually with some canned chicken to get her to eat. The back leg thing seemed to resolve itself and it was determined that she has LP in both knees - unrelated to her liver.

Because her numbers were not indicative of a shunt (usually 100 or more); and she really has had no further symptoms and seems to be a happy, healthy pup - we have decided to treat her for mild MVD with a low to medium protein diet and supplements.

Nothing further needed for her at this time. Who knows what the future holds? But for now, so far so good.

I'm not sure that this will apply to your baby; but I just wanted to share my experiences.

I know it's scary when there is something wrong with your little one. If I were close to a great vet hospital; I would go there for answers. The may NOT want to do a bunch of tests on your baby but if there are continued symptoms - they may.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!