View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijingirl View Post
Thank you all for the replies.
I do agree that going the route of UT will probably be the best for both short and long term. My vet told me that if I did decide to do more tests locally and/or an ultrasound they would just want to re-do it anyway, wherever we end up at. (I do appreciate him being honest about these sorts of things and not pushing me to spend a bunch at his office if he knows I'll have to spend it again). As for the Kinesiology, that's one thing I know I don't need to invest in right now! The more I think about it, the more frusturated I get, because I went there wanting a nutrition consult (supposedly this guy is big on pushing nutrition for healing) and all I got was charged about 3 times more than expected for a bunch of crazy tests I didn't need! (So frustrating when you know that money is needed for your dogs future care....)

I've been making myself crazy trying to look at different food options. There is so many different opinions out there on what is right and best for dogs. Having a sick dog makes it much more to try to apply all the information to yourself.

Anyway, is there anyone you are aware of who may have been in a similar situation as me and would be willing to talk to me? Someone who went to UT with a dog that probably doesn't have a shunt, but went for further diagnostics? I'm just wondering what to expect as far as what kind of tests they would run and what kind of information I can expect to get out of it.

My vet had mentioned to me that he believed that as far as LS, UT did everything (all the tests and surgery) for somewhere just over $1000. So, I'm wondering how much it is just to do the testing and what they time frame is to get it done...for example, how many days/trips would we need to make. We are in the Nashville area, so it's about 2.5 hours, I believe. Not terribly far, comparatively speaking. But, I'm interested to know (or more accurately, my husband will want to know) will we make 1 or 2 trips or is it more of a 10 trip kind of thing?

I'm willing to do almost anything to ensure that Snickers lives the longest, happiest and healthiest life possible and would be devastated if anything happened to him...the thing that worries me and scares me the most is that I know, even for myself, I'm still in my 20's and have been just not feeling good myself for nearly 10 years. I've had every test and medicine my doctors think is necessary, but still feel like crap most days and often don't feel like I have an answer for me after all this time and having the ability to get great care. So, I'm terrified that it will be the same with my dog...as it has been this way so far. Like my vet and I talked about, you could keep doing tests forever, if you wanted to. Especially if there is possibly multiple conditions, chronically on and off, how do you know you have the answer? (Can you tell I'm a bit anxious at all?!)

Hello. My dog Daisy had many of the same symptoms. She has microvascular dysplasia (MVD or microscopic shunting of the liver) and she also has IBD, severe allergies and food intolerances. We have been able to see complete reversal of her poor outlook and physical appearance, along with major changes to her blood work, due to diet changes alone.

Did they rule out pancreatitis? the elevated WBC and elevated BATs and gurgling stomach sounds just like what Barney had a few months back when he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The ALT reading is low, which is usually high in MVD or LS babies (at least my dog's reading was high).

The food does have a lot to do with it. 25% protein may be too high if the dog is liver compromised. In addition to % of protein, the TYPE of proteins are important in LS and MVD dogs. Many do poorly on meat (especially red meat) and some, like my dog, eat a total vegetarian diet.

My dog had post BAT over 100 and is now completely normal due to dietary changes alone- we feed a home cooked balanced meal.

Personally, I'd see how the blood work turned out after a diet change before I ran around doing all kinds of testing with those numbers, unless the dog continues to have symptoms.

We use board certified vet nutritionist Dr. Rebecca Remillard at the MSPCA-Angel Memorial Hospital in Boston - we do phone consults with her. IMO, there is no one on the planet more qualified. She saved my dog's life and I recommend her highly. She has many yorkie clients and is very well-experienced with excellent qualifications. So if you want a nutrition consult, she's awesome.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!