View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
bellasmomok
♥ love my girls!! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Technically, dogs should poop LESS on grainfree food because they're not having to poop out all the nasty fillers, or grains, which are not a natural part of a canine diet.

All dogs, including Yorkies, pretty much are wolves. They are taxonomically the same species, and physiologically and anatomically the same and actually share 99.8% of the same DNA. Size and appearance are in the less than .2% differences, therefore I like to feed a food that is 'close' to what the wolves eat in the wild (ok, we know wolves aren't getting served kibble in a bowl... but it's the closest you can get, IMO, besides feeding raw which many do). A baby wolf would not eat anything different than an adult wolf, and I personally feel that most puppy, large breed, senior dog, etc foods are not all that much different and pretty much marketing.

Anyways, it's just my personal preference to feed grain free, low carb, meat protein rich foods. Ultimately, though, I think it's what works best for you and your dog. I've done alot of research and have finally settled that this works best for Jackson!
Like you said, it's a personal preference. Dogs in the wild DO eat grains, though...they eat the stomach contents of their "kill", which most have a grain based diet, and they even eat grasses and grains in the fields. I know Bella, for example, will eat grass when we're outside, and I've seen lots of other dogs do that too. Also, I feel even thoujgh they are very close physiologically and anatomically to wolves, domestic dogs have different needs than their ancestors. For one, Yorkies simply couldn't live in the wild! Also, we are essentially the same as our "cave men" predecessors, BUT I don't see many people living off raw meats, berries, etc... I believe we have have different needs now AND the technology and availability to eat safer and better things too! Again, I know lots of people choose to feed raw or semi-raw or grain free....I don't think any one choice is better than the other, it's just a personal decision.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!