View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 AM   #6
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasmomok View Post
I don't know much about grain free food, but I think I'd ask on YT about putting a puppy on a grain free diet to get some feedback about that. It may be just fine, but for some reason I was thinking I was told not to do that when I got Bella....but I've slept since then so I can't remember for sure. Maybe dogs on grain free just poop more?? Or maybe she IS just eating more than her body can handle?? Sorry I couldn't be more help! Can't wait to hear which puppy you chose! I still have the pics you sent me. You should post some pics on here so everyone can oooh and ahhhh over your baby!! (They were BOTH tooooo cute!! )
Technically, dogs should poop LESS on grainfree food because they're not having to poop out all the nasty fillers, or grains, which are not a natural part of a canine diet.

A caution to large breeds is often given for high protein, grainfree foods, not because of the fact that it's grain-less or high protein but it's the calcium and phosphorus levels in the food, which is why a warning is often given to wait until 1 year of age to feed. Large breed dogs grow at a rapid rate and it can affect their growth. Too much calcium has been shown to cause bone/growth problems. Calcium levels, ideally, should be around 1.4 and phosphorus around 1.0. These little guys, it's not as big of a deal, but it's whatever you feel comfortable with. There are grains out there that are not bad. I personally don't feel their necessary in a canines diet but I don't think certain grains are going to harm them or anything.

Also, like I said, over feeding is a huge problem. People just feed entirely too much. Also, grainfree, higher quality food, you're going to have to feed less of, or you will definitely get runny stools and/or more poop. For example, Jackson, my 15lb'er eats 1/2 cup a day of Acana Grasslands. If he was eating Purina, he would need 1 cup a day or more. Acana is a really calorie dense food. More calories = less you need to feed.

All dogs, including Yorkies, pretty much are wolves. They are taxonomically the same species, and physiologically and anatomically the same and actually share 99.8% of the same DNA. Size and appearance are in the less than .2% differences, therefore I like to feed a food that is 'close' to what the wolves eat in the wild (ok, we know wolves aren't getting served kibble in a bowl... but it's the closest you can get, IMO, besides feeding raw which many do). A baby wolf would not eat anything different than an adult wolf, and I personally feel that most puppy, large breed, senior dog, etc foods are not all that much different and pretty much marketing.

Anyways, it's just my personal preference to feed grain free, low carb, meat protein rich foods. Ultimately, though, I think it's what works best for you and your dog. I've done alot of research and have finally settled that this works best for Jackson!

Last edited by Britster; 07-31-2010 at 05:33 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!