View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miri View Post
ok so first we had Bentley sleeping in a crate as a puppy, but he pooped in his crate every single night. So after about 3 weeks of trying to crate train him and failing we just moved him to the bathroom with a wooden gate. He loved it in there, he could move around and pee and poop all he wanted . But now, my 4 month old yorkie is 9LBS!!!! therefore he can climb over our 1.5ft gate. I dont want to just close the bathroom door because he is scratching it, and we already had to buy a bitter spray to put on the base boards in there because he was chewing them.

so, now I am at a loss for options. My husband says to just keep him outside but that is not an option for me due to neighborhood cats that run in our backyard and how small and young he is. I dont know what to do or where to put him at night now.....

any ideas?
Yes get a 4x4 foot xpen with a top on it. Oh yes the baseboards, they do chew a lot. But in the xpen try to train him to puppy pads, so he can go on a surface you want him to go potty on.

With the crate it needed to be small enough that he wouldn't want to poo/pee in it. You can reintroduce him back to a smaller crate a little bit later on

In my opinion Yorkies are Not built to be a "farm" dog and live outside. They have neither the coat nor the temperament. I think you know this but just to re-inforce what you do already know.

Yorkies can be difficult to housetrain, it is why you and hubby need to be so consistent on where you want him to potty, and do your best to make sure he goes potty in that spot.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!