View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #19
lisaly
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I am more than happpy to help anytime. Your photos are beautiful, and I love seeing them! When I started photography years ago, manual was the only choice. In difficult lighting or times when I definitely want to take a picture using a certain aperture and shutter speed, I'll use manual, but I don't think it's necessary all the time. Sometimes it's nicer not to have to worry about it and let the camera do it for you, so that you can focus on getting the right composition or what you want in the photo. I've done so much reading about photography and it's been a hobby for over 30 years. I don't know much about studio lighting, but I do know what would be effective in many cases. Still, a lot of the time I am rushing to take a picture, and I don't end up applying that knowledge. I took a lot of photos of my little girls, my Yorkies, which many times had to be quick to get the photo. I also take a lot of portraits of my high school students. I can stop and think taking a photo of one teenager, but it's not easy with a group of teenagers. I don't think I ever could use manual in situations like that. If you learn how to use exposure compensation, you don't have to learn how to use manual. The reason why I suggested using manual possibly is that when you use flash, I think the camera will default to 1/60th second shutter speed. Changing that might be more difficult. I use in-camera flash some of the time, but mostly I use Nikon's SB-800 flash. The small SB-400 flash is also very nice, because it also has the ability to bounce the light. When I took photos of my babies, I bounced the flash off of the ceiling or a side wall, so that I could still get their eyes dark and without the gold or green eye. I need to get better at changing all of the controls of the speedlights, so I sometimes have trouble getting the shutter speed that I want with flash, and that's when I move to manual when I become frustrated by it. In auto mode, the camera always defaults to either 1/60 or 1/125th second. Once you start playing around more with the camera, it will get much easier for you. My film Nikons are like second nature to me, but with my D300, I am still learning after more than two years with it. I love my 50 mm lens, but I often need a wider angle of view. I use my 18-200 lens when I'm not taking serious photos, but I use my Nikon 35-70 2.8 in lower light, my 50 1.4g, or my 105 2.8 macro. If I had the 35mm lens that you have, I'd probably use that a lot. I think it's a great lens, and I hope you enjoy it.

I look forward to seeing more photos of Pippin and your other beautiful babies. I am sure they are getting so much love from you, and I can tell what a wonderful mother. When we got our little Gracie a year after we got Ashley and Kiwi, we were worried about how they'dfeel. All that extra love that we gave them really made them even more loving, and Kiwi turned into mush. Give some extra kisses to Alexander from me.

Ashley 6/10, Gracie 2/04, Kiwi 10/03, and Jolie 7/93 .
lisaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!