View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #18
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaly View Post
Sorry for posting some of what had already been written. You already got some great information and advice. Portraits are great when you use large apertures, but focusing is so critical. That's why I also keep mentioning the apertures 1.8 and 2.2. At 1.8, depending upon how close you are to the subject and also the focal length of the lens, sometimes it is difficult to get both eyes in focus. Most of the time in portraits, you want to focus on the eyes (although some pictures of noses and tongues as the focus of your pictures can also be adorable). Sometimes I have to bring the aperture to 2.8 to get both eyes fully focused with certain focal lengths. When I mentioned using a top knot, it was only to see if that was the reason why you were having trouble focusing, since the camera can't focus on flat black. I know that's not the case with Pippin, because she is so fluffy, but it can't be easy getting her in focus, especially since she is so active.

When you play around more, I'm sure we'll be able to come up with some more things. Enjoy all of your babies. I'd love to see pictures of every one of them when you have a chance. You have such a wonderful family! Murphy is gorgeous, as is the picture you took of him. I love his silky hair and his eyes.
I appreciate your taking the time to answer this so fully. You have a way of wording things that I can understand (or at least think I do ). I did wonder if her black coloring had something to do with it, because other pictures are coming out much clearer. But then I wasn't sure if it was that or because she'd moved just a bit.

I'm about to go play around with the manual mode and see what results I get. It seems most of the really good pictures I've seen are taken on manual mode, but don't quote me on that.

Thank you for the nice compliments about my babies! I will certainly be trying to get some good shots of all of them to post on here.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!