View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
When you say "appears"...do you mean you're shooting in Manual? I'm pretty sure you're not, but thought I'd ask just in case.

The very first thing I'd do is: check to see if you have your "focus indicator" turned on...? This is a beep that tells you "yep, I'm focused and locked in" - so that you don't have to judge if you're focused in on something, the camera tells you when it's focused. NOW, as to whether the camera has focused on the POINT you wanted it to, is another subject (ie, did the lens focus on the eyes, or on the tail...and that's when the human factor has to be involved).

2nd thing: what is closest focus distance of that 35mm? (just so it's in the back of your head)

That makes me think that 1) you may have been even just a CM too close for the lens in some instances (therefore, the shutter could not release) and/or 2) the lens focused, the shutter engaged, but then she moved just a BIT - and the pic was taken....if you had your aperture wide open, say at 1.4/1.8 or something - all she has to do is barely tilt her head a fraction, and she could be out of the field that was "in focus" when the picture snapped.

Maybe an analogy using space? (depth of field=DOF)

Like, this is your DOF at 1.4 [ ]
And, this is your DOF at 22 [_____________________________________]

So, at f1.4, the subject has this much depth of space [ ] in focus during the shutter release. Very shallow depth of field....therefore, one major area of focus, rest of piccie blurred out (bokeh).

But, at f22, the subject has this much depth of space [_____________________________________] in focus during shutter release. Very wide depth of field....therefore, almost everything in focus, very little blur (think: landscape pictures).

Argh....don't know if that made sense.......
As always, you made perfect sense.

When I say it appears that everything's in focus, I mean that the lens moves until the area around my focal point (lit up in read) becomes clear and focused in the viewfinder. I've only been shooting in Aperature mode, with a couple of practice shots in the Portrait mode. My questions are mainly about what happens in the A mode, since that's what I have it set on most of the time.

I'm going to practice with both lenses and take more notice of what's going on. Last night I was too focused on cute little faces and not on what the camera was doing. Hopefully with more facts you all can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!