View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Hi there, I have some tips from when I used to train rescue horses (and I am in no way referring to your pup as being rescued, it's just that those guys are shy just like your new pooch, and usually not young and gullible).

When you come across a shy animal and are getting them used to a new home, and of course a new mom, it takes time. Thankfully your little guy came from a good home, and his previous mom is only a phone call away, right?

I would gain his trust on his level first. he has to want to come to you on his own. This in the horse world would be referrred to as joining up. You kinda want to do the same thing with him.

I'd take an afternoon and just go in a room with him, where he's comfortable, and plop yourself on the floor. Sit and observe what he does. Does he approach you, does he run away, does he ignore you. And base your afternoon on that. Try to get him to play with you. If he likes ball you can use that to your advantage when training him that its ok to be picked up. This starting exercise can help you know how he thinks. It sounds like he's willing to approach you, based on the liking to cuddle. So I'd start in steps.

First when he's cuddling, stroke him and slowly work your way to his belly, as if you were going to pick him up. but give him a good belly rub instead. This soft love and attention will lighten him up towards you.
If its the actualy pick up motion that scares him, I'd try picking him up while you're on the floor. Maybe he just doesn't trust you enough to pick him up that high. It is a long way down.

If you do little steps slowly, he'll lighten up. Do you pick up his ball with him when you pick him up. Maybe keeping his toy with him, will help.

Good luck! keep us posted on how he's doing. I've only dealt with one shy dog, he hated his tail being brushed (he was abused so for good reason) and it took two of us working together slowly to praise and love him, now one person can do it and he's happy.

Also in terms of the growling and teeth. it's hard to tell whether he'd actually do anything. But try to stay calm. they can sense fear, if you approach in a positive manner and do things slowly, you should hopefully see the teeth fading away.
deonk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!