View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
JDS
YT 500 Club Member

IMO, it's very hard to train a pup to potty outside unless you can take them out every few hours. There's NO way your pup is going to be able to hold it all day while you are at work. If you can take him with you, that would be ideal...I hope you get to do that.

I am training LuLu to potty outside also. But I am home all day so it makes it much easier on both of us. I'm not sure what you mean about not using an x-pen b/c he will potty on the pee pads...what will you use in the crate? My opinion is that if you use part of his crate for a potty area, he may begin to associate crates with pottying. Just my opinion, of course, as I'm no expert. Also, he may get very messy if he potties in the crate & then walks through it or rolls around in it.

I would use an x-pen with pee pads for when Fynnlie will be alone (while you are at work) and then also train him to potty outside while you are home. I don't think you can expect Fynnlie to ever be able to go all day holding it waiting to go outside when you get home. Are you going to be able to come home during your lunch break? If so, then when he is older, he may be able to make it in between you letting him out before you leave, letting him out on lunch break, letting him out when you get home....but even that is a stretch for a small dog. It sounds like Fynnlie will be small if he's only 1.2 lbs at 11 weeks so he will need frequent outings to potty outside.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!