View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairesyorkie View Post
Maximo Thank you so much for your advice! very helpful! Do you think Tye would actually bite/hurt me or do you think he's all noise?? He sounds like a huge dog when he growls at me lol, I have to admit I am nervous when I try to pick him up. I will give him a little long to settle and perservere. He loves to play ball, sit on our laps, strokes and cuddles. He is lovely but its the picking up that he hates.
The fact that he loves to play ball, sit on your laps, cuddle and receive petting is wonderful! Build trust with him and he should come to accept you picking him up.

Make sure only you or your spouse (?) pick him up. If you have children, I would advise them not to pick up Tye. Same with guests. Not until you know how Tye will behave and that he will be safe.

No one can say whether or not Tye will bite. Did your friend say whether or not he has a history of biting? I don't think you need to frightened, but be prepared. When he growls or struggles, put him down. You don't want to risk dropping him.

He should have good bite inhibition, meaning if he does use his teeth at all on you, it will be a nip if anything. Of course you don't want him to nip, but I don't think you need to worry that he is going to attack you.

From what you have described, I believe that practice and trust building will solve your problems.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!