View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsmom View Post
Well I'm in this section b/c i have been thinking about getting Edward a companion but he is not neutered and if i do get him a companion i would want her to have babies of her own with Edward. My fear is this how tough would it be if they mate and she gets pregnant?

How much does a c-section cost?
If the girl was Edwards size (5 1/2 lbs) about how many pups do you think she would be expecting?
what would be the best age for the female to try and mate them?
when they are doing it should i supervise?
what can i do if something goes wrong when they do it?
Any other things I should know? please feel free...

Thank you fellow YTers in advance....
If you are just looking for a companion for your Edward, I'd neuter him and get a girl. When the girl is old enough, I would spay her. That's exactly what I did with my dogs and they love each other.

Breeding yorkies is much more complicated than you think and unless you are committed to dedicating hours and days and weeks and months and years to research, it isn't worth it. You could lose the girl and all her puppies. And how sad would Edward be then?

To answer all your questions, please buy and read Ann Seranne's Joy of Breeding your Own Show Dog before even getting the puppy. This isn't something you just do on the side. Breeding Yorkies is a lifestyle, not a hobby.

A sterilized male and female live together very peacefully and they become great friends. If they are sterilized, there are no worries about watching them, their chances for lots of illnesses are reduced and you save thousands.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!