View Single Post
Old 12-05-2005, 08:04 AM   #15
Toby's Human
YT Addict

Default This is what I found.

Normally, the voice box (the "larynx") opens as the dog inhales and partially closes during exhaling. Laryngeal paralysis (LP) occurs when the nerves controlling the voice box slowly but progressively lose their function. When dogs normally breath, the voice box is opened permitting inhaled air to pass to the lungs. LP diminishes that ability when the tissue folds edging the sides of the voice box either do not move at all or move out of time with the phases of breathing. One or both these vocal folds may be affected. “This syndrome has been reported as a congenital (present at birth) problem in the Bouvier des Flandres, Siberian Husky and Dalmatian breeds,” according to the U. California at Davis Vet Medicine's “Book of Dogs,” 1995 ed., pp. 289-290. Thus, LP slowly narrows the dogs' airway making breathing progressively difficult. The condition can occur in any breed and at any age but veterinarians report it to be most common in older dogs of large breeds. I now definitely know of two Dalmatians with LP - my own male and a bitch
Symptoms during early LP can be merely changes in the sound of barking as if debarked or with laryngitis. Frequent coughing and clearing-of-the-throat may be seen plus slight panting for no detectable reason. The dog's breathing can sometimes sound like the wheezing of an asthmatic. As LP worsens, the dog pants strenuously after the slightest exercise or mildest excitement. (The normal reaction is to inhale more at these times but becomes a drastic struggle as LP narrows the airway.)

I think I am going to take all of your advice and not breed him. You all are right. I am just being crazy.

So if your dog doesn't have a straight topline he/she is automatically considered roach backed? I didn't know that. Thanks!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!