Thread: Biting Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
Cares4Dogs
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphstheme View Post
I am so glad I joined this forum when my little male yorkie came into my life last year. Webster is 14 months old and i have never had an issue with him and my grandsons. this past weekend, my 5 year old and 1 year old grandsons stayed over my house. my older grandson is actually visiting for two weeks. yesterday, Webster nipped my l year old grandson in the face when the baby climbed on the couch, where i was sitting. i was so shocked, that i immediately put ice on the baby's face and thankfully there were no skin breaking. the baby was so upset, he cried for 5 minutes. Webster constantly growls and barks at the baby and older grandson but has not nipped until now. I was actually thinking of boarding him for a few weeks until the kids leave, but came on to the forum for some advise. My older grandson is afraid of dogs (prior bad experience but not with my dogs) and now he is terrified. I also have two golden retrievers but there is no problem with them. I have decided to crate him immediately when he growls or shows any other inappropriate behavior. I forgot to mention that Webster had a bone with the baby climbed up but still I feel this behavior is intolerable. Any other advise would be appreciated.
I'd probably just crate him until your grandkids leave. Just giving him some alone time with you so he's not too traumatized.

If your grandkids visit often, maybe a trainer can help. But-for the safety reasons, I would keep him crated.

I got bit in the face by a chihuahua when I was young and still have the scar. He had a treat he was hoarding and I sat on the same sofa and the dog attacked me. I wasnt a young child either...i was in my teens. Some dogs just dont like kids and have jealousy issues.

Good luck.
Cares4Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!