View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

I have been faced with the same decision as you, 2x as I had sister cats, age 12 and 13. My Rambo started to lose weight so I took her to the vet and the as soon as she put her hands under her, she pulled back and said that she had a huge tumor in her underside. I almost didn't make it thru the appt as I was in tears because all I heard after that was..."at her age...surgery...not sure of success...yada, yada, yada."

I decided to take her home and be with her. That evening, she got progressively worse. I decided to say goodbye to my baby the next day. I didn't want her to suffer any longer and I wanted to make sure that I was there to say goodbye.

When her sister became ill the following year, she lost a 3rd of her body weight. She spent the weekend at the animal hospital and they wanted to do transfusion and other procedures. When I brought her home, she had peed on me in the car, which she has never ever done. I brought her inside and she just laid there and didn't want to be bothered by anyone or thing. She still refuse to eat and was losing even more weight.

It is really a personal decision that you are faced with. I would recommend that you think about the quality life that your baby is faced with, not the quantity. That was the deciding factor for me.

I wish you well with whatever decision you make. Just remember, it is the most unselfish act of love that an owner can make to say goodbye to a cherished pet who is ill.

Feel free to private message me if you need a shoulder. Hugs to you and your baby.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!