Thread: I'm back!!
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #7
Cirlonde
YT Addict

I have a Chloe too () and she tends to bark/yap nonstop when she gets very excited. Like, when my husband comes home or she wants to play but we aren't able to at the moment. Since her "negative" barking is just from excitement, we've been teaching her "Time Out". This has worked great because it removes her from the situation that was over exciting her and gives her a chance to calm down and "get a grip".

I give her two chances and on the third strike she gets put in her little play pen for a few minutes. So, #1, she barks and I say "That's enough!" or "Hush!". #2 bark and I say, "Do you want to go in Time Out?". Then if she barks a third time, I immediately pick her up, put her in the pen and say "Time Out!" Rarely anymore do I actually have to put her in time out. Usually just asking her if she wants to go in time out gets her to calm down. Luckily, we taught her from day one that she wouldn't be let out of her box or play pen if she was barking so she never whines to get out. She might scratch a little on the side of the pen, but that's it.

Good luck on re-teaching your Chloe manners!
-C
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!