View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
You could try hand feeding her to get her to eat. If she doesn't eat, you can't expect her to do any potty business. The recent spay and any meds she's on may contribute to her behavior. Is she used to a crate? If not, she may see this as punishment. A good alternative is to use an x-pen (a 4 X 4 portable pen) with the crate inside there. The crate can be left open with her bedding inside and her food and water dish, along with a potty area, set up in the pen. Did the former owner tell you what she is used to? Starting there and modifying it slowly for your life style may help avoid some of the shock of transition.
I agree with you 100% with all your suggestions. Especially the x-pen and crate, it'll be her safe haven.

From the discription of this wee one she has been through alot. At this point in time she needs a lot of tender love and care. She needs to feel safe in her new environment. Remember it takes awhile for them to acclimate to their new environment.

However, since your daughter is only away from home for 4 hours a day and this little girl being 9 months, her not eating until your daughter comes home should not be a problem. But, if it concerns you and she eats by your hand feeding her, go ahead and do so. I've had do this with some of my dogs, when they've refused to eat. When we brought by Savannah home as a pup, we had to hand feed her for a while, eventually we only had to coax with a few kibbles and then she'd eat on her own. She's an adult now and eats on her own, no coaxing.....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!