View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChica View Post
My vet and several Yorkie owners told me to NOT use pee pads and they did so with a passion. My vet said he is older and using pee pads is best at a younger age. The other owners said pee pads taught their dogs to pee inside and they still have accidents.

His crate is pretty big. He is small and I had a difficult time finding a small wire crate. This could be the problem but he hated the small crate I originally bought him, which was plastic. He whined each time I put him in.
I strongly disagree with people who have this view of pad training. My first vet told me the same thing. While my boys continue to have access to a pad in my home, they are both 100% trained to know when and where is appropriate to potty.

CathyS great advice above. If you prefer to continue with crate training, check out the small wire crates with dividers at Walmart or the pet stores. You may have to add something even with the divider to make the space small enough as Cathy indicated.

Take your pup out every hour (and after meals) as you were doing and stay out there with him until he does something. Use a keyword or phrase to indicate that you want him to go potty. When he does, praise him profusely and give the treat that you have for him.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!