View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Rachael x
Poppy's Mamma ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubee008 View Post
I just wanted to share a couple of "incidences" and "lessons learned" I have experienced since mother my two little fur babies!
1. Yorkie's ears will go up on their own time. Both of my babies ears didn't flop up until they were both 8-9 months old. It took some time, I taped them for about two weeks with Coban around 5 months but then let nature do its thing and "Ta Da!" they popped right up without any additional help!
2. Be sure to go to some sort of puppy training! This includes getting your new yorkie child crate trained.
3. When rescuing a puppy mill puppy be calm, loving, huggable, and most of all patient! Our first yorkie (Princess Kela) we got from a breeder but our second yorkie (Keller) was a puppy mill puppy. It took Keller 6 months to stop crying when being left alone, 1 year to stop flinching everytime we picked him up or put him down, and 3 years to be completely comfortable. Dont give up and ALWAYS love em!!
4. If your dog is vomiting... TAKE THEM TO THE VET!!! Keller spent several days in the hospital due to eating some sort of insect (to this day have no idea what it was) but he couldn't stop vomiting and would have died if he had not been taken to the vet. Its better to be safe then sorry!
5. Brush their teeth and give them baths weekly!
6. Diarrhea can be caused by a number of things.. Boiled chicken and white rice has always worked for us but if it continues longer than 2 days take your puppy to the vet.
7. Yorkies are prone to getting cyst. Keller has several on his back. They are small bumps that look like zits. Dont be alarmed, they will resolve on by themselves.
8. The best investment I have made on my puppies was buying them a carseat!! I am a paramedic and can honestly say "Seat-belt's save lives". I see it day in and day out. The same goes for dogs. You wouldn't put your child in a car unrestrained so keep your fur babies safe and spend the $100 to get them a high quality car seat. It just might save your life as well.
9. Keep your dogs groomed and warm! If you are in school (like me) keep them cut short. My vet laughs when we show up for our winter shots with both fur babies coats on. But mat free is the way to be!
10. Last but not least...... LOVE THEM WITH ALL YOUR HEART!!!

The End!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!