Thread: House training
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
sbrdy77
Yorkie Talker

Default To dzbabykel

I found working with him on a gradual basis was best.
First rule of thumb, ignore them when they cry. Do NOT under any circumstances open the crate and pick them up while crying. They will never learn it is okay to be by themselves if you do.
This is how I started to do it at night about bedtime. I waited until he fell asleep on the couch and then placed him in there and closed door. Once in there he will spring wide awake. So sit with him and pet or play with one hand in a cracked doorway and relax yourself cause this could take about 30 minutes. After a few minutes of play, remove hand, and sit quietly. If he barks or whines tell him "quiet" or "hush" and then do not say another word. Mine would finally go to sleep. But then I would walk away and he would whine. I would go back to the crate and hit it once and tell him "hush". This went on for about a week or 10 days. One night after a week I placed him in there and sat there and said "It's night night time Rosco. Go in there and go to sleep" and I couldn't believe what happened! He went back in the back, snuggled in his blankie and went right to sleep. I waited a few minutes and went to bed. Didn't hear anything until 3:30am which was potty time!!!
they are like human babies and will cry incessantly at first. You have to let them cry it out but not more than an hour at a time when first doing this. That's why doing it on the weekend is better - you have time and can do it in short 10 to 15 minute sessions, but when ready to bring them out WAIT UNTIL THEY STOP CRYING FOR A FEW SECONDS, immediately say good boy/girl and then get them out. I took two weekends and did it twice on saturday and twice on sunday. And the rest was play or sleep time in the house outside the crate of his choice.
Now he goes in with little or no fuss.
sbrdy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!