Thread: House training
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
sbrdy77
Yorkie Talker

Default wonderful

Well, mine is 14 wks old and is learning to go to the door and in the process ring the bell. I've crate trained him and he is doing very well.
Remember puppies have no control and if they gotta go they will just go.
Best thing to do - get on a schedule.
First thing in morning, outside.
After eating and/or drinking, wait maybe 10 minutes unless it has diahrrea then immediately outside.
After naps, immediately outside.
AFter playing hard and winding down, DON"T HESITATE - outside! (This was the hardest for me to learn because I couldn't tell when he was tired to play and then he'd go.)

For all those crate training and have not had much success. I have some tips. I was worried at first because he would just go spastic when we left him in the crate. First thing is be tough, but sensible. Work with him on a weekend while you are staying home if he is not doing well at night. In other words, put him/her in for a few minutes at a time and when he shuts up for just a few seconds praise him/her. Let them stay in there and ignore them when they start to cry again. Do it a few times then after about 10-15 min and you get a silence in between cries praise him and let them out to run around and play. Do this during the day a few times. At night I found if I waited until he fell asleep with me on the couch and then place him in there, but sat by the crate a few nights while petting him thru the door and letting him know this was his safe house he did better. Sometimes he would cry while I'm sitting there but I would tell him quiet or hush and ignore him. He finally would quiet down and go to sleep after 15-30 minutes. Once I walked away if he started to cry I came back and if still crying bang on the crate once and say "quiet go to sleep". I would walk away and usually he would whimper a little and then go to sleep. Key for me was to ignore him after the first command.
Now, he makes no fuss and he is comfortable in the crate. Next stage is to get him to go in there on command
I am one proud momma!
sbrdy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!