View Single Post
Old 07-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
RBCZ Mom
Yorkie Talker

Default Really need advice, separating during heat

Hi folks,

Sorry for the long post, but I think the details will help with the question. I'm new here and have a situation that I really need your wisdom on. My husband and I got a male yorkie puppy 3 weeks ago (7 months old), and a female 2 weeks ago (10 months old) from separate breeders, and each breeder knew what we were getting. Neither have been spayed/neutered, and the breeder of the female told us she expected the girl's first heat in August/September, so we had plans to spay/neuter them both this month. However, my little girl went into heat about a week ago ( ! ) and is now into her second week. We were very surprised and not certain what to do. I read as much as I could here and on the internet to get educated fast. We allowed them VERY supervised time together at first (literally standing over them during play time, at which time she wasn't interested in him), but both breeders said to absolutely separate them at this point, which we are.

They are crate trained in separate crates, and both are pee pad trained. But, they are very bonded to us and to each other, so my problem is their stress level. They are now both really wanting to be together, and are in their crates but when out, we either take them for a walk or separate them in our bedroom with a gate so that each can have potty time and time with us. Now though they are crying and barking in the crates and when they are separated by the gate during the day (I work from home, thankfully), and the stress I'm afraid is causing potty issues too (soft stools). I feel SO badly for them, I would never have brought two puppies into this situation had I known! We tried different rooms for them too but that was only worse. We are doing everything we can to both spend time with each dog, even one dog in a crate while we train/play with the other, but I am afraid they are in for at least 2 more weeks of stress. Also, I need to be able to leave them alone in their (separate) crates for an hour or two at a time so that I can work. Any and all advice is so much appreciated, we love our little ones so much but have never been through this and want to make it as easy on them as possible. THANK YOU!
RBCZ Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!