View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Melcakes
Senior Yorkie Talker

It's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK View Post
I would trust Dr Dodd's reccomendation over the one posted on the Foster fand Smith site. If am always sceptical when someone selling the vaccine makes the recdomendatioln.

if you went by their reccomendation, from earliest 6 weeks, to latest 20 weeks, at 3 week intervals, you would be vaccinating 5 to 6 times.
Yes, Dr. Dodd is a renowned pet vaccination expert and I'd trust her as well. It is an interesting study though. I'm pretty sure the study isn't to suggest one is to vaccinate their dogs 5 to 6 times. 3 series is pretty much the norm. The study is to show the effectiveness of vaccinations at given age points. If a puppy is vaccinated too early (4-6 weeks) it can have an affect on future vaccination shots and the effectiveness of immunity, as I think many are aware. I'm assuming the OP vet is concerned about this since the pup was vaccinated so early at 4 and 6 weeks of age and that's why they are considering another series since it may have negate the shot given at 8 weeks. This happened to a friend of mine and her pup as well. 3 series is the norm. Dr. Ron Schultz another renowned pet vaccination expert, believes that 1 series of distemper and parvo , at I believe 12 weeks of age it is, can provide immunity for a dog's entire life - pretty interesting! Titers have always interested me but I've heard so many mixed things about them and that they are not really that effective as showing immunity...

Last edited by Melcakes; 07-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Melcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!