View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanieK View Post
JMO

From, what I understand, the reason for giving them 3 shots is because the immunity they get from the mother loses it's protectiveness at different times, depending on a variety of factors. But somewhere between 9 and 16 weeks.

Any shots given while the puppy is still protected by the mothers immunity is render useless. So they give the shots at 3 week intervals to assure they are protected.

However, all of the mother's immunity should be out of their system by 16 weeks, therefore the shot at 16 weeks should be all they need, and any shots after 16 weeks are unnecessary.

Again, this is just my understanding.
Pretty much my understanding too except a study done not long ago seems to indicate 18 weeks is better (more pups protected), so who knows.

To the OP: It was the frequency of the vaccines at first that would concern me b/c they have to be given at the right intervals to be effective. But since they were given two weeks apart at first, that should be okay. Just with all that given, who knows what negated what... I think you can be pretty sure he is protected and a titer may be a good option. I still feel for the vet though. Besides, the first ones...were they given by a breeder? Some vets don't except breeder-given vaccines...
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!