View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #6
Melcakes
Senior Yorkie Talker

I know that some puppies will not form immunity due to improper timing of vaccines and typically earlier vaccination is clearly a doomed strategy and with more frequent vaccinations it makes the problem worse. That's maybe why your Vet wants to give your dog another series of shots. Maybe your vet is concerned the 8 week shot didn't provide full immunity due to the shots being given so young and only 2 weeks apart. 4 weeks is just insane and I even think 6 weeks is too early, but have heard of many vaccine companies and Vets saying 6 weeks if fine. 8 weeks is typically ideal to start with vaccines with them spaced out 3-4 weeks apart. I personally would think the 8, 12 and 16 week shots would be more than suffice, but could see the concern your Vet may have and Vet's always like to err on the side of caution - can't blame them.

My friend had a very similar situation. Her small yorkie puppy was given his first series of shots by the breeder at 6.9 weeks than thereafter every 2.5 weeks up to 10.9 weeks. He was then given another shot at 13 weeks by accident (long story). My friends new Vet wanted to give the dog another series at I believe 19 weeks of age just because of the timing/frequency of the shots. Her dog is perfectly healthy from it all and it didn't effect him at all. She looked into titters as well, but they are tricky and don't necessary show full immunity.

I thought it was pretty normal and very standard for a dog to get their heart-worm test at 24 weeks of age. Zoey did and so have a lot of my friends puppies as well..

I would also, like others have recommended ,definitely split up the DAPP and rabies shot. I actually think all DAPP/DHPP shots should be given alone at all times. My friends dog had a bad reaction when she was given DHPP and Bordatella Intranasal in one visit.

Most puppies can go outside, in a safe environment (one that is closed off
from other animals, etc. one's yard), as early as 2wks after their 2nd series of shots and be safe, but puppies should not go into common areas where other dogs go until they're old enough and have been properly vaccinated. It's BEST to wait until 2 weeks after he's had his 3 main sets of
vaccinations to be absolutely safe.

Last edited by Melcakes; 07-11-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Melcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!