View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
boo-boo
Senior Yorkie Talker

Congratulations on your new puppy!!!! You are in for a lifetime of fun and crazy antics with the new baby!!!
As for potty training, this is what I did with Boo and it worked great! After about a week and a half he was about 95% potty trained. It takes a lot of time, but get's easier as time goes on.
I let him have run of the house, It's his home, and i had the time to watch him carefully wherever he went...although usually he just wanted to be where i was. I took him out every hour to start, then gradually increased the time between potty breaks. When we were inside I watched him carefully, and if i saw him sniffing or doing his poo poo dance i would take him out immediately. If he had an accident in the house I took him over to where he went and showed him what he did and told him no, then took him out. After about a week and a half he would come to me and tell me that he needed to go out.
As for using a newspaper, I have never hit my dog as punishment. They are so small that the tiniest hit could actually hurt them, and i'm not a fan of negative reinforcement. All it really takes is a touch to get their attention. Yorkies are eager to please, and want to do what makes mom and dad happy. You just have to get his attention and show him what that is. Good luck, try not to get frustrated, dogs sometimes go potty in the house, especially when they are puppies. I know it's a pain, but once he's potty trained it will be nothing but playing fun games and sweet little puppy cuddles!
boo-boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!