View Single Post
Old 07-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
lauren_f
Yorkie Yakker

Default Looking for a Yorkie buddy in Portland, Oregon!

I have to open this with a bit of a sad story. I currently have a 12 year old Poodle that I rescued from a California SPCA 6 years ago. He's the best little dog, although hardly ever well behaved, I've ever had. I have fostered a few larger breed dogs and I've had roommates in the past that have had dogs of various breeds. I noticed that my Poodle does better when he has a buddy because he has anxiety issues when ever I leave the house.

I went on Petfinder and with my first search found a female Yorkie who was part of a large group of puppy mill dogs that were seized in Coos County Oregon. She was available for adoption on my birthday! I called and put a hold on her and was able to drop by the shelter with my Poodle to do a pet meet later that evening. When I showed up with my dog I was told that she had fallen ill and was getting vet treatment. I met one of the vet techs over the phone and he called me Mondays and Thursdays every week. This Thursday he called and let me know that she had just passed away. I am sad that I couldn't provide her with a comfortable forever home with a Poodle buddy but I'm really happy that she had a few moments out of the puppy mill environment and shared them with people who really care about the welfare of dogs.

So, now I am starting to look again. I'm not in any hurry to find a dog because I want to wait until the right one comes along. I live in a two bedroom apartment with my fiance (getting married in October finally!) of five years. We have wood floors and due to the age of my dog he has accidents sometimes. I have moved 3 times since I've owned my Poodle including my last move from California to Oregon and I've never had a problem finding a pet friendly apartment. My Poodle is altered, has a micro chip and sees the vet at least twice a year just for a check up. I have a nine year old step daughter who lives with us part time and is gentle with my dog and is always supervised when playing with him. Dogs with lots of fur seem to make her eyes red (possible allergy) but has had no issues with dogs with hair.

Our ideal Yorkie friend would be fixed (male or female not an issue) and get along okay with other dogs. It would be nice to have a slightly younger dog (baby to 8) but I'm not opposed to an older dog. If anyone has any leads on a dog that might suit our needs let me know. I will delete this post when we find a forever friend.

Thanks,
Lauren and Poodle
lauren_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!