View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatumsMom View Post
Okay, so the same day I was reading about Patti's bad virus problem our computer also got hit (and no, I didn't click on that link). Apparently a malware thing. We took it to a computer repair place in town and had it back within 2 days. He said it had wiped out our hard drive. Not sure what that specifically means because I expected to lose documents, bookmarks and pictures that were on there but it came back fully restored. So they fixed all that and went ahead and installed Spybot on it. That was not one that I had. I only had AVG free version.

So, now I want to get as much (free) protection as I can so I'm asking what works for everyone else? I know that V. mentioned the malware bytes one (which I wasn't aware of). And I have spybot and AVG. Anything else?

Hopefully this will help everyone else and remind everyone to get protection if they don't already have it!
I've had to take my computer place to the local computer repair guys twice now, this last time, I had Norton installed at their recommendation. Since then (over a year) I have not had any more serious problems, and it does notifiy when an attempt is made to hijack my computer. I agree some times its better to take your problem to the experts. Spybot is not a virus protector but a spyware program that removes all tracking programs, so many websites have tracking programs, some as many as 20 different programs, and they want to know where you go on the computer and where you shop. The problems with these tracking programs is that they use your computer's memory to keep track of you and can slow your computer down significantly. So run the spybot program every few days to get rid of all the extraneous programs. When I had it I had to run it manually, I don't know if you can set it up to automatically run now. Norton's new security system has both virus protector and spyware and does it automatically, it's the only thing I have found that protects me in the places I go. By the way, some of the worse places for catching viruses are the sites where you get graphics to post on profile pages, and I love my graphics. Glad your computer is healthy now!

Join today and remove this ad!