View Single Post
Old 07-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
There's no 'one size fits all' answer to your questions. The generally accepted minimum breeding size for a female Yorkie is 5 pounds but overall health and structure has as much to do with it as weight. As to the size of the male, the pups size in utero is controlled by the dam, but I personally would not breed such a large male. Is he a larger pup from smaller parents, a smaller pup from even bigger parents or is his size typical for his heritage?

What you, or anyone, should be worried about is how prepared are you to allow the pregnancy to continue. Yorkies are not a breed where you can just let nature take its course and you must assume that she is pregnant if your male got to her.

There are risks that come with even a textbook pregnancy, and complications happen as often as not. If you have not done your research and educated yourself on Yorkie pregnancy and whelping and have an experienced person you can call on at any time, your lack of experience is a risk factor that could cost you your girl, the pups or both.

You only need to browse some of the recent threads here in the breeders' forum to see just how many things can and DO go wrong, either with the pregnancy, the whelping or the period after. It is absolutely true that you are putting your girl's life at risk with any pregnancy.

If you are not fully prepared to accept the risks and responsibilities (which last from the beginning of the pregnancy until the pups are fully independent), then spaying your girl would be the thing to do. You need to have her seen by a vet ASAP as some won't spay if she is too far along.

P.S. I should add that any issues that either parent may have (heart, liver, knees, hips, bite, eyes, temperament, etc.) will be passed along to the pups. These are very important considerations and shouldn't be taken lightly.
I think this is the best advice you'll get on the subject. For every topic Woogie Man brought up that you don't have an answer for, or you didn't know about until today consider it an extra risk. I also want to point out that while vets are a great fountain of knowledge in dog health, when it comes to breeding they don't know it all. There are 161 breeds recognized by the AKC and they each have their special circumstances surrounding breedings. If you're lucky and your vet knows about the Yorkshire Terrier in detail, go to them for advice. If not, the other best place to go for evaluation is with a member of the YTCA.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!