View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumnus View Post
I canceled the appointment. I just read several stories about smaller yorkies like Knox who didn't lose their baby teeth until they were around a year old. I'll just keep brushing his teeth every other day, and if he still hasn't lost them in four months when I take him back for his checkup and heart worm pills, I'll have them extracted then. Perhaps by November, I will have bred him or feel more comfortable neutering him.
I hope you consider neutering him. He's at the perfect age, his testicles have dropped, and soon the will begin producing testosterone. At this time you're little boy will become a "man." He will begin marking and be able to smell a female in heat up to 10 miles away which can make him nervous and anxious. In the following months he will change if you don't neuter him, and he may become more aggressive. Death due to injures cause by car accidents is the number one cause of death in unneutered males. Breeding him once seems a little mean, is this for him or you? If you neuter him now, he'll never know what he's missing and will remain a little boy. Also, there are so many yorkies that are looking for homes; people shouldn't not breed unless they know that their dog is a great representative of the breed. It's great that you are taking care of his teeth, yorkies have trouble losing all their teeth and usually have to have at least two pulled, it's only about $5-10 a tooth, the cost is high due to the anesthesia, so you vet is right neutering when pulling baby teeth is a great idea. Remember if you're do mates, he could get an STD even if it's the first time for both, and there is no guarantee that the puppies will be anything like your dog in personality or looks. I think you would be wise to neuter him as soon as possible before marking becomes ingrained.

Join today and remove this ad!